Sunday, July 29, 2012

SUNDAY: "Tear Soup" by Pat Schwiebert



Tear Soup, a Recipe for Healing After Loss [Hardcover]

Pat Schwiebert (Author), Chuck DeKlyen (Author), Taylor Bills (Illustrator)

Laura's Review
This is a 5+ star book in my estimation.  After my daughter lost their little girl, (stillborn at 8+ months), we were all heart broken.  We had recently suffered another death of a young dear friend and my heart felt  heavy for a long time.  My daughter received this book from a friend at work and said "that of all the books and gifts that she had received, this one was the most helpful and really hit the mark".  She sat me down on the couch and she read it to me.  We wept together, page by page, as Grandy, the main character, describes her process of dealing with her loss by making tear soup.  (You don't know what loss she has suffered, but it doesn't matter.  You do know it is a very significant loss though.)  As my daughter read the book, I could literally relate to each sentence and each page.  As I listened to Grandy explain to her grandson what she was doing, I felt like I had discovered a new friend, who was going through the pain with me and who finally understood how I felt.  Because this is a picture book, it is written for adults and children alike.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who is grieving the loss of anyone or anything significant.

Book Description

June 1, 2005 8 and up3 and up
If you are going to buy only one book on grief, this is the one to get! It will validate your grief experience, and you can share it with your children. You can leave it on the coffee table so others will pick it up, read it, and then better appreciate your grieving time. Grand's Cooking Tips section at the back of the book is rich with wisdom and concrete recommendations. Better than a casserole!

Hardbound; 56 full-color pages. Affirms the bereaved. Educates the un-bereaved. A building-block for children..... WINNER! of the 2001 Theologos Book Award, presented by the Association of Theological Booksellers.

Have You Filled a Bucket Today?


Book Description

October 15, 2007 4 and upP and up
Through simple prose and vivid illustrations, this heartwarming book encourages positive behavior as children see how rewarding it is to express daily kindness, appreciation, and love. Bucket filling and dipping are effective metaphors for understanding the effects of our actions and words on the well being of others and ourselves.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...