Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand

Wow, I just finished reading "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, the same author who wrote "Seabiscuit".  This is NOT a children's book, but I wanted to review it anyway.  I have to say, it is one of the best books I have ever read!  It is the true story of a man named Louie Zamperini, an olympic runner, and his unbelievable experiences thoughtout World War II.  As stated on the front cover, it is a story of "Survival, Resilience, and Redemption."  I heard about it through a friend and then my sister gifted it to my father for his birthday.  I borrowed it from him, came on vacation, and have read it straight for 2 days.  I finished late last night, ending up with a splitting headache, from having read so much.  It reminds me "a tad" of the experience of redemption that Betsy Tenboom has in her book "The Hiding Place", after her awful experience in one of the worst concentration camps of WWII.  Although she isn't a Jew herself, she and her sister take to hiding Jews from certain death.  So they are carted off to Poland!

This book reminds me that forgiveness is possible, the human spirit can survive most anything, and that miracles absolutely do still exist.  If you don't like to read about war or  you don't want to read the whole book, over 400 pages, at least listen to this youtube video that talks briefly of this heroic man's life,... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Hlu0yHb9Q



This book is beautifully written and a on-in-a-billion story!

2 comments:

Jillesha lingmann said...

I am in the middle of this book right now! So excited to finish it.

Laura said...

It's amazing, isn't it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...